Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Tranportation Canada and Kayaks

The section below is taken directly from Transport Canada's website:

Attention Boaters There are Changes in Applying for a Pleasure Craft Licence Did you know that any pleasure craft powered by a motor over 10 hp (7.5 kW) must have a valid licence? A pleasure craft licence allows search and rescue personnel and other agencies to quickly identify your boat in the event of an emergency.

As of November 1, 2010, to get your free pleasure craft licence, you must mail the following documents to the Pleasure Craft Licensing Centre:

1.a completed application form;
2.proof of vessel ownership; and
3.a signed copy of a valid piece of government-issued identification. (Further information is available on the form.)
Application forms are available for download or for pickup in person through your local Service Canada Centre. For Service Canada locations, visit

You must carry a copy of your Pleasure Craft Licence on board.

This new policy sparked considerable discussion among paddlers, since according to the definition provided - kayakers would meet the criteria.Thank goodness for some common sense.
It now appears there was a misunderstanding - see article below.

No comments: